Illinois LGBT votes — key for Alexi Giannoulias — are in jeopardy

CHICAGO — Governor Pat Quinn expects civil unions in Illinois by the end of 2010. Nationwide, the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) voters are angry with Democrats.

Little doubt the timing for the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’s” reversal was an accident, but what does the loss of crucial LGBT votes mean for the US Senate race in Illinois? Could it mean a loss for Alexi Giannoulias?

LGBT voters in Cook County

With many key races shaved closer than a military crew cut, Cook County’s LGBT 7% of voters could easily tip the US Senate race between Alexi Giannoulias and Mark Kirk. Who will take the initiative and capture the LGBT votes in Chicago?

Currently, the Senate race between Giannoulias and Kirk is a tossup, with Kirk leading by less than three percent. That makes the loss of LGBT votes for Democrats in the Senate race a loss for Giannoulias in November if he doesn’t work to recapture crucial votes from the gay community.

With a lack of progress in gay rights, the LGBT voting community, who traditionally have voted Democrat, are looking at alternative candidates or no candidates in November’s election.

Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell military policy

Many LGBT voters will vote for anyone but incumbents, or not at all, due to DADT’s overturning according to MSNBC. President Barack Obama’s administration has asked for a temporary respite on the DADT decision, which was agreed upon on October 20.

At best, DADT policies are controversial. DADT still doesn’t allow the same fundamental rights for gay members of the military as it does for straight military members.

Quinn and civil unions before 2011

Quinn believes the fall veto session has enough votes to legalize civil unions in Illinois, according to ABC News. While civil unions aren’t “marriage” they do provide gay couples the same legal rights as straight couples, and would be a positive step for LGBT rights in Illinois.

Quinn believes he is a strong supporter of gay rights and feels that legalizing civil unions will promote “tolerance” in Illinois. This may aid Quinn with capturing the LGBT community’s votes over Bill Brady, who is opposed to civil unions or recognition of gay marriage, but does it help Democratic Senate Candidate Alexi Giannoulias?

The 2010 election in Illinois continues to maintain more excitement than a Jersey Shore marathon. I’m regretting not starting a fantasy politics league just to sling some mud at my friends or host debate night drinking game parties. The level of candidate’s maturity and (lack of) focus on the issues lends to my own regression. Will the LGBT voting community realize the timing of DADT’s repeal seems just a little too convenient? Will US Senate candidates, Giannoulias or Kirk, campaign to recapture Chicago’s gay voting community?

Sources:

ABC News. (2010, October 6). Retrieved October 25, 2010, from http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/politics&id=7710121

Ambinder, Mark. (2010, October 21). Don’t Ask; Don’t Tell Guidance Expected, The Atlantic. Retrieved October 25, 2010, from http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/10/dont-ask-dont-tell-guidance-expected/64935/

Erbentraut, Joseph. (2010, October 8). Quinn: “The Votes Are There” for Civil Unions in Illinois, The Chicagoist. Retrieved October 25, 2010, from http://chicagoist.com/2010/10/08/quinn_the_votes_are_there_for_civil.php

Real Clear Politics. (2010). Illinois Senate: Giannoulias vrs. Kirk. Retrieved October 25, 2010, from http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2010/senate/il/illinois_senate_giannoulias_vs_kirk-1092.html

Webber, Tammy. (2010, October 24). Gay Voters Angry at Democrats Could Sway Election, MSNBC. Retrieved October 25, 2010, from http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39821451/ns/politics-decision_2010/

Originally reported by Yahoo. Read the original story here.

Published in: Lifestyle, Local News, Politics Keywords: , , ,

Related News

Bookmark and Promote!

33 Responses to "Illinois LGBT votes — key for Alexi Giannoulias — are in jeopardy"

1. Funny Photos says:

For anybody who is interested in enviromentally friendly things, might possibly surprise for you the crooks to keep in mind that and earn under a holder simply because kind dissolved acquire various liters to important oil to make. daily deal livingsocial discount baltimore washington 979069

2. our site says:

Some genuinely good stuff on this internet internet site , I like it. 271800

3. Buyii Deals says:

hi, your site is fantastic. I truly do many thanks for operate 240620

4. Basically received my 1st cavity. Rather devastating. I would like a super smile. Seeking a good deal far more choices. A lot of thanks for the post 218246

5. Outstanding read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing just a little research on that. And he really bought me lunch as I discovered it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thank you for lunch! 205382

6. numerous thanks for telling!.

7. You created some decent points there. I looked on the internet for that issue and located many people will go in addition to with the web website. 631605

8. paydayloaner says:

Hi there, I found your blog via Google while searching for first aid for a heart attack and your post looks very interesting for me. 365014

9. Kyle Dalere says:

I simply had to say thanks yet again. I’m not certain what I would’ve made to happen without the entire methods documented by you on that subject. Completely was a real horrifying case for me, nevertheless finding out a new expert avenue you treated it forced me to weep over contentment. I will be happier for the assistance and as well , wish you realize what a great job you are doing teaching people today via a blog. Probably you have never come across all of us.

10. You have some honest ideas here. I done a research on the issue and discovered most peoples will agree with your blog. After that early period, the Beatles evolved considerably over the years.

11. Steven Veto says:

Diminished of value that follows crashes, is extremely unfortunate . To take up the best alternative open.Say your prayers.Say what you have to say and the first time you come to a se

12. I like this post, enjoyed this one appreciate it for putting up.

13. coach outlet says:

If you buy more than 3 products one time, you can be our vip and get another discount.

14. The new Zune browser is surprisingly good, but not as good as the iPod’s. It works well, but isn’t as fast as Safari, michael kors handbagsand has a clunkier interface. If you occasionally plan on using the web browser that’s not an issue, but if you’re planning to browse the web alot from your PMP then the iPod’s larger screen and better browser may be important.

15. I like this weblog so much, saved to favorites.

16. The retro Herve Leger bandage outfit red is actually appreciate an incredible reputation whilst in the entire entire world, Once you placed on this gorgeous, elegant, alluring as well as charming retro Herve Leger bandage outfit red from the party, you tend to be undoable the target the gathering.

17. I have realized some important things through your website post. One other subject I would like to say is that there are plenty of games available and which are designed specifically for preschool age children. They consist of pattern acceptance, colors, animals, and models. These generally focus on familiarization as an alternative to memorization. This makes a child engaged without sensing like they are studying. Thanks

18. Joe Nellis says:

very interesting… I’ve heard about this recently from a couple of friends of mine about your blog. This was very interesting and got me thinking real hard. I have no idea where you come up with these brilliantly written blogs but keep up the good work. Got any advice for the rest of us fellow webmasters?

19. Loving the information on this website , you have done great job on the content .we offer Tory Burch Eddie Elastic Ballet Flats gold with 60% off prices

20. Elisha Gruca says:

jersey shore has been around for 8 seasons? Has Vince got around to being famous yet cause if not I nominate its renamed to “Friends”… Wait.

21. jobbikguru says:

Hi,Just to let you kow guys, this is a good source of information of a new right political party from Hungary.This is a selection of their publik speaches, and other videos.http://www.jobbik.tv

22. We are a bunch of volunteers and starting the fresh plan within our community. Ones website provided us with helpful info to help function on. You’ve achieved a formidable job plus the whole community will become grateful towards you.

23. CieAura says:

That was very interesting, You are an extremely skilled blogger. I have joined your feed plus wait to seeking additional with your excellent write-up. Plus, I’ve shared the site in my social networking sites.

24. Recently i ran across this post and have been browsing along. I was thinking I would leave my 1st comment since it really captured my focus. I’ll visit back here often to check for fresh articles.

25. The 2010 midterm elections tend to be here, and most expect Republicans to produce big gains in the two chambers of Congress. While prevailing opinion holds how the GOP will take on the House of Representatives, there are many dissenters among national politicians. The Senate outlook is much more messy, but it is usually accepted that Republicans encounter a steeper climb for taking back the upper chamber.

26. I am beginning my own blog to share my images experiences. Do you discover it challenging or effortless to put up constantly?