Three arrested in two-ton cannabis bust in Douglas County

TUSCOLA — A Moultrie County judge Tuesday ordered three California men held on $1 million bond each after their arrests Monday night in northern Douglas County for hauling more than two tons of cannabis from Texas.

Douglas County State’s Attorney Kevin Nolan said preliminary information he received from Illinois State Police at Pesotum is that a trooper made a stop of a semi-trailer tractor truck on Interstate 57 northbound north of Tuscola about 8:30 p.m.

“There was a log book violation and a consent to search,” Nolan said, adding that the district’s drug-sniffing dog alerted and troopers found 4,400 pounds of cannabis tucked among crates of vegetables.

“That’s a record for me,” said Nolan, who has been in office six years and is no stranger to interstate drug busts. “My previous big ones have been about 200 pounds.”

Nolan said the probable cause affidavit he received from troopers listed the amount as 1,999,995 grams of cannabis. There were about 270 shrink-wrapped bundles, Nolan said.

Nolan said the trio, Jesus Guzman, 31, Eric Cabrera, 35, and Joshua Cornillez, 32, from the Livingston, Calif. area, gave statements to police indicating they had started their trip in San Antonio and Dallas and were headed to Chicago.

Judge Chris Freese set bond at $1 million each and ordered the trio back in court Feb. 23.

Nolan said he needs reports from state troopers before deciding exactly what charges to file but said it would likely be cannabis trafficking, which carries a prison term of 12 to 60 years upon conviction for that amount.

Published in: Legacy Press Releases, Local News Keywords: , , ,

Related News

Bookmark and Promote!

10 Responses to "Three arrested in two-ton cannabis bust in Douglas County"

1. Atrorrofe says:

information you write it very clean. I’m very lucky to get this information from you.|very good information you write it very clean. I’m very lucky to get

2. It is palpable choice to study you blog!

3. I’ll right away clutch your rss as I can not find your email subscription link or newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly permit me recognise so that I may subscribe. Thanks.

4. Maile Pelino says:

CouponCodes4u is the US’ No. 1 coupon codes website also created with the objective of providing you with a list of the best Enterprise Coupon Codes so you can compare prices.

5. tico says:

Damn I’m from Livingston, I grew up with Jesus(Caballo) & Eric (Cisco)both my boys, sad to see! they really didn’t need the $$$ “not worth”..Jesus leaves his wife & daughter behind. Cisco had the Tattoo shop going…Damn greed & easy money gets the best of us I guess..They will be missed & I probably will never see them ever…

6. sEaN says:

joshua is my friend, he just got out of jail. sad to hear about this, he is from the bay area ca but has made “runs” like these before. i will never see him again as word on the street is witness protection for him…he folded on the whole operation……sad stuff

7. Nick says:

Brad – You’re an idiot.

It’s illegal, end of story. If you want to contest the law, then take it to the appropriate forum where such things are addressed.

Also, I’m interested to know the sources on the reference to racism as the basis for the law creation. That’s a serious statement, I’d actually like to know.

8. ben says:

Brad you are 100% right.

9. un says:

Brad, wake up. This is ridiculous statement

10. Brad says:

Stop arresting for pot.
    There is virtually no logical reason to continue.
    These laws were created blatantly on racism. (Look it up)
    So, why are they still on the books?

Wake up. Cannabis is a God-given medicine.